Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Battle of Burlingame 6 Hour Challenge


             Battle of Burlingame 6 Hour Challenge
Charlestown, Rhode Island
5/3/15

              There’s the old saying, “sometimes you’re the hammer, and sometimes you’re the nail” that phrase often rings in my head during long mountain bike races. Just yesterday at Burlingame State Park I realized there can be much more to that saying... I don’t think I’ve ever felt like the hammer, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. After all, the hammer has no purpose without the nail. Unless you’re taking lessons from Mr. Miagi, the nail hardly ever gets driven into its place on the first blow. Sometimes it bends, and it’s up to you to straighten it out and drive it home. There I was, minutes into the first lap of a 6 hour race, feeling like a bent nail. Besides my experiences with the common pains and overall discomfort that come with riding you bike for hours on end, I've needed more lessons in overcoming adversity. Needless to say, I am glad I found a little at this race, and was able to pull myself back together because I know another day will come when it’s going to be much worse. Now let me tell you how I got bent to begin with…

                After a 2 and half hour drive down to Charlestown, RI I arrived at Burlingame state park about 45 minutes before the start of the 6 hour race. My FIRST mistake was drinking too much Gatorade on the ride down. I normally don’t drink it at all but have found that it’s a good thing to have the DAY BEFORE a race to load up on water and calories. On the ride down I drank about 20 ounces rather than just hydrating on water. I was going to pay for that mistake shortly. This was my first official mountain bike race with State 9, so I felt it was important that I rode hard, and represented the team well as we are a new name in the crowd. Other than me, the team was also represented by Doug Reid riding in the 6 hour race. We warmed up together (by warm up I mean we pedaled lightly for a totally of 5 or so minutes…).  We took to the start line at the bottom half of the top 1/3 of the field (if that makes sense…). The race started at 8:00 and we were off. As usual in these races my breathing begins to labor way to quickly, it’s not that I go out to fast, I just get so damn excited. I quickly realized in a matter of minutes when I began burping Gatorade that I had made a mistake on my ride down. Welcome to the world of glycemic overload. I had trained hard, I had hydrated well, I had eaten the right foods but too much sugar at once was making me feel like sh*t. I felt a bit nauseas which is never a good thing early in a long race. I knew it would pass but it wasn’t the best feeling to have at that moment surrounded by other riders jockeying for position before we hit the single track. The course hits paved roads for the first 2 miles or so before turning left onto the single track. I had hoped the course would be similar to last year’s route so I would have some familiarity. As it turned out, it was exactly the same. After rolling on some nice single track the course quickly starts to develop into some technical rock filled trail. As I was still reeling from my sugar overload I headed into this section with my focus not nearly on par, enter mistake number two. Coming over a rocky section I chose an awful line and found myself going straight over the bars in slow motion. I landed somewhat graciously but was instantly passed by a handful of riders. I picked myself up and hoped back on the bike. I was only a few miles through lap one and mentally I was beginning to lose myself. I still felt like crap and I had just taken a stupid fall. “Keep it together” I told myself knowing I had a looooong way to go. The course continued through technical rock littered single track that develops into some short punchy climbs (total elevation gain per lap is less than 800 feet but a lot of it is sprinkled in the section). I rode/jogged through this section like I was new to the sport, my confidence faltering by the minute. When I finally crested the top of the rocky section I reached for my water bottle to find nothing but air. This was my lowest point. Just 1/3 of the way through lap one and I had lost my water bottle when I crashed over my handle bars. With over 5 hours to go there was the potential that I might going to complete lap one behind schedule in my fluid intake and with my history of cramping that is NEVER a good thing. It was here the hammer and the nail saying came to my mind, and I was the bent nail. When my mental toughness hit rock bottom I gathered what was left and vowed to put the awful start of the race behind me.  I told myself I needed this to happen, as overcoming adversity is always a means to a better end. It was time to get to business.

                Following the technical section is a bit of swooping enjoyable downhill. There are points where logs have been laid across the trail and with some speed can really send you flying, the joy of mountain biking was starting to show again thankfully. I pushed it hard through the downhill as my nausea left me and I began to feel like myself again. At the bottom of the downhill the trail flattens and is littered with roots. I termed this section “shake and bake”. Unless it was a full suspension fat bike, you were bouncing back and forward like a mogul skier. In this area, I began to see up ahead the group of guys who had passed me when I crashed, finally something to race towards. I set my sights and kept them in my view. It was around this point where my bike began to not feel quite right. I was hearing a rattling sound in the area of my rear wheel/ derailleur. I figured I had forgotten to lock my derailleur when I changed over my tire the day before but it sounded like it was getting worse and worse. I finally resolved to the fact that I needed to look at it and I hoped off the bike to find that my rear wheel was very loose. I tightened it up and got back on the bike to continue chasing the group ahead. I am not sure why but this continued to happen, ever 5-10 miles throughout the rest of the race I had to dismount for a few seconds to tighten my wheel. This is something I will have to really have looked at ASAP. Shortly after the shake and bake section the trail comes out onto a road that climbs with ease up to the single water station on the course that I had forgotten about. No mountable water bottles, but thankfully there were some 16 oz. plastic Poland spring bottles on hand. I quickly downed one of them and threw the other in my jersey. After losing my bottle miles before, I was back on track in regards to my hydration. Things were beginning to look up.

                The course then entered the bridge section. This seems to be a popular area in Burlingame State Park. Last year a few of the bridges needed some repairs and expansion. To my satisfaction it appeared that the AMC has been busy working out there. A few of the bridges had been connected and spanned large swampy areas. It was around this area that I finally caught the group ahead of me. I stuck to their rear wheels for a while, trying to enjoy this section of trail. The forest here was beautiful, as signs of spring were everywhere. The sky was a perfect blue, with the temperature holding steady in the high 50’s, perfect bike weather. I was the nail that was straightening itself out for sure, as I was just short of an hour on course. Following the bridge section the trail turns to some nice flowing single track that crosses into the campground area and climbs up onto a ledgy hill side. This particular part of the course is my favorite as it flows nicely and is a sign that you are nearing the finish of the 15 mile course. I passed a few of the guys who were ahead of me here and tried to pick up as much speed as I could on the swooping down hills. The course eventually crosses through a small field next to the park’s playground before hitting another section of single track and crossing through another field, before it opens up into the start/finish area next to the beach on Watchaug pond. I crossed the line, rounded the sharp turn and quickly drank the remaining Poland spring bottle in my jersey before grabbing my pre filled water bottle I had set up next to the course. I had pre filled my 2nd bottle with Skratch as well as a dissolved salt tablet. I quickly grabbed a granola bar and I was off for lap number 2. A quick check of my watch and I realized I was about 10 minutes ahead of my 1st lap from last season. This was a large gap considering the trouble I had during the first lap of the day. My legs felt great, so it was time to continue the pace.

                I was hoping that the 2nd time through the course I would not only pick a better line through the technical areas, but I would also be able to pick up the water bottle I had dropped during lap one. Thankfully, I was able to do both of those things and I now had a spare bottle full of skratch tucked in my jersey. I had no excuse for falling behind on hydration now. I spent a lot of time leapfrogging a NEMBA rider, but otherwise I spent a good deal of time alone for the duration of the lap. Rather than get frustrated and spin out on some of the punchy rocky climbs I resolved to dismount and run up them as I had witnessed other riders doing for lap one. This worked to my advantage physically, as well as mentally, as I was able to keep my back loose and my psyche intact. I caught up to a single speed rider, who along with the NEMBA guy, I spent the rest of the day leapfrogging as well. As the course wound through the downhill section followed by the bridges I caught a few other riders and made some passes. Other than a few moments of leapfrogging and making these passes I was alone, which was a very comfortable feeling. By the end of lap two I had finished a package of shot blocks and a granola bar as well as my bottle of skratch and dissolved sodium. By my calculations, I was slightly behind in nutrition but was feeling good as long as I continued eating and drinking at the rate I was going. A quick glance at my watch after lap two and I was well under the 3 hour mark with lap two being comparable with lap one time wise. I was halfway completed my goal of four laps and still feeling good.

                Lap three was very similar to lap two. With my 3rd time through the technical section it seemed to get easier and easier. My triceps were beginning to tighten up a bit but it was manageable, as my legs were feeling good. I continued to move back and forwards from the NEMBA and single speeder. Each time id pull ahead and put them out of sight they would slowly reel me in and pass me, which became a good gauge of my own speed and output. Before the bridge section on lap three the NEMBA rider was right behind me when my tire jammed on a rock switchback and I tumbled over in slow motion. I ended up upside down with my legs over my head laughing as he made a pass. I was no worse for wear but between me and my bike I ended up looking like a pretzel which tightened my back up a bit. The NEMBA rider put some distance between me and him as I felt like I was beginning to crack a little. I ate another salt tablet, along with a pop tart and a heavy dose of water. I reminded myself to settle back down as I hit the bridge section and slowly reeled him back in by the time we rolled through to finish lap number three. It was this point last year where I was unable to cross the finish line by the five hour mark and I was cut off (I had no complaints about that).  A quick glance at my watch and I knew if I kept up the pace I could finish the 4th lap in under 6 hours. I rolled through my feed zone and grabbed one more bottle of water and one more granola bar. I was without question starting to hurt. My legs were tingling showing the early signs of cramping, and my ass felt like it was the first time nearing 5 hours of trail riding.

                The grind on the roads leading to the single track was pretty tough here. Although it’s some of the flattest and fastest paced riding on the course, it dragged on. I didn’t want to stand and pedal for fear of inducing a cramp, but sitting was hurting my back and bottom so it was a bit of a balance between the two. I took the opportunity to give my legs a pep talk repeating “stay with me, just another 15 miles…” It’s a little crazy, but anyone who puts their body through stuff like this gets it, you can call it a placebo effect but it always seems to work.

                I hit the rocky area one more time and caught the NEMBA rider for the final time. He was cooked, in a full cramp on the side of the trail. I’ve been there, and I know there’s not really much coming back from it, at least not to the extent you’d like. I caught another rider who was in an even worse state, wincing in pain on the side of the trail. I felt for them because I have been there so many times (last year at Burlingame was probably my worst experience) but I had just picked up two spots, I hadn’t cramped yet and the hardest part of the course was about to be put behind me. I topped off the rocky climbs and barreled down the swooping downhill. Most of the rest of the lap was a blur, as I was all alone and was focused on finishing strong. Halfway through the lap I took one more salt tablet which brings my total to 3 in a 5 hour span. That is the most I have ever taken during a race but it appeared to work as I didn’t cramp, although on the final few miles I was close, and I could chalk that up to possibly needed to eat more during the race. I came through the finish at a sprint and was clocked at 5 hours and 57 minutes.

                In looking at the results there was some confusion because due to the fact that there was a much shorter X/C race taking place at the same time I was labeled as being in 27th place ( my goal was top 25). I did not realize until later that night that they were labeling the order in which ALL competitors crossed the line. Although I was the 27th rider to cross the finish line, I was in fact in 17th place for the 6 hour race.  State 9 team mate Doug Reid had a great race and finished a very respectable 7th overall! I couldn’t be happier with my own placement as it shows how hard I worked since last season to get there. In comparing my lap times from last year’s race the evidence that I’ve built endurance is all there. My first lap was 10 minutes faster. Lap two was thirteen minutes faster. Lap three was 23 minutes faster. The fact that I did a fourth lap this year is huge, with my final lap only being one minute slower than my third lap. What was interesting as well is the fact that they kept track of your place per lap. It seems that I was crossing the finish line in 17th place all day with the exception of lap 3 where I was 18th behind the NEMBA rider, so I was in fact very consistent. This is all very encouraging information to digest moving forward, as a top 20 finish in a race like this feels great considering this is only the 8th 6+ hour race I’ve completed to date (ONLY 8!!??).

             

              The year is still so young and I’m off to a great start with Rasputitsa and Burlingame under my belt. The next definite challenge will have much less technicality as in a month I will be competing in a dual challenge at the Wilmington bike festival. June 6th holds the annual whiteface uphill road bike race in which I will be attempting my first road race, followed the next day by the Wilmington whiteface 100k mountain bike race. This coming month my training will focus more on longer miles on the road with as much climbing sprinkled in as possible in order to continue to build on my endurance. In any case, I’m extremely excited to get back up to Wilmington and spend the weekend doing what I love in an area that’s considered to be an extremely bike friendly community. After all, it was at the WW 100k last year that I realized I actually really enjoy long gravel climbs on a bike, and I can’t wait for the opportunity to better my time on that course (especially after a tough uphill race the day before). This will also be the first time I opt for a hotel rather than a campground before a race, and that will be a nice comfortable experience.

 In the meantime, now that I know what it’s like to be the “bent nail”, I should focus altogether on being the wood, getting closer to what will never be a final product. After all, what are a hammer and a nail without anything to work for? What can I say? My fathers a carpenter, I work in facilities management, and I like metaphors… and bikes, I like those too!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment